In 1891-2, Flinders Petrie discovered several wall paintings and a large painted gypsum floor plaster in the Great Palace in the Central city of Amarna. Recognising its importance, he built a protective building over them, which allowed visitors to view the floor paintings by moving around them. From his diaries, Petrie also wanted to protect the pavement against possible plunder, because of the belief among the locals that treasure was buried under it.¹
Although the building provided a protection for the floor paintings, on 1 February 1912, it was broken into and the pavement was hacked to pieces.
¹ Weatherhead, F., ‘Painted Pavements in the Great Palace at Amarna’, The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, 78 (1992), p. 179 fn.